2014 Data Privacy Day
Safeguarding Data, Respecting Privacy, & Enabling Trust
Attend OTA Data Privacy Day Town Hall & Breach Readiness Workshop
San Francisco – Marriot Union Square, Thursday January 30th
Oakland, CA January 22, 2014 -- The Better Business Bureau has partnered with Online Trust Alliance (OTA) in a series of Town Hall events to help educate the business, marketing and advertising communities on the latest privacy and data security best practices, state of regulation and how to develop effective breach response plans. If you don’t already know, Data Privacy Day is January 28, an international day of awareness designed to educate people on privacy issues and how to safeguard personal information. On January 30th, OTA will host a workshop in San Francisco that will include a networking breakfast and series of engaging panel discussions focusing on the evolving privacy regulatory landscape, data security best practices and a review of the risks of mobile apps and devices in the workplace.
OTA’s Goals include:
1) To educate and raise awareness of the importance of data protection and privacy.
2) To provide actionable advice to help enhance the protection of consumer and business data.
3) To aid business on enhancing their level of preparedness for a data breach / loss incident, reducing the impact to consumers and the risk of identity theft and credit card fraud.
The US economy is increasingly becoming a data-driven economy, driving innovation, consumer value and economic growth, yet it is at risk:
· Consumer anxiety and concern on the collection, use and sharing of their data by business, including web sites and mobile applications, is at an all-time high.
· The increase of data loss incidents and breaches reflect that businesses in general are inadequately safeguarding data and are ill prepared for a breach event.
· The rest of world is concerned with US data practices, which could create a “privacy trade war.”
· Data loss incidents can create “business shock,” resulting in long-term damage to a business’s brand and consumer loyalty.
· The best defense it to be prepared for an incident and have a comprehensive tested plan in place.
· To prepare for data breaches loss incidents.
· Proactively learn how to effectively work with law enforcement and regulatory authorities.
· To understand how to protect consumer, business and sensitive data.
· To learn how to navigate the privacy landscape by enhancing consumer notice and choice.
· To customize your privacy settings on the leading mobile platforms and devices, enhancing the protection of your business data and employees’ privacy.
· Meet and network with, peers, leading experts & speakers.
· Earn up to 5 International Association of Privacy Professional (IAPP) CPE credits.
BBB Accredited Businesses Save 20%. Register by January 23, use code BBB20.